gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Non functional SiRF

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Non functional SiRF
Date: Wed, 9 May 2018 12:06:46 -0700

Yo Dominic!

On Wed, 9 May 2018 08:07:46 -0400
Dominic Amann <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 8 May 2018 at 15:49, Gary E. Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
> I think I am now one step beyond the last build failure:

> | TypeError: expected a character buffer object:

Uh, are you trying to use Python 3?

> Here is some of it piped through od -x

Uh, not useful.  I need the super raw binary.

> Yes, and each subsequent time I turn off my gps, and then turn it back
> on again, it seems gpsd re-acquires it and turns it into binary mode.

If gpsd is doing that with the -b flag then that is a bad bug.  are
you sure you are saving the GPS config in non-volatile storage?

> > One way to improve things is to only compile gpsd with the drivers
> > that you need.  The way gpsd gets lost is when it can't figure out
> > which driver the GPS needs.  TSIP is especially nasty and grabby.
> >

> It seems to pick the SiRF driver every time - which ought to be
> correct.

Except you did say it gets hung, which is the symptom of hung TSIP mode.

> It just can't grok this chips' output.

Which is why I ask for a binary sample to see what it says to me.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588