gpsd-users

[gpsd-users] Changing to native/binary mode over a remote connection

From: David Willmore
Subject: [gpsd-users] Changing to native/binary mode over a remote connection
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2017 16:46:12 -0400

Hello, all and thank you for gpsd.  I've used it for a number of years
and always found it helpful.  Particularly, I use gpsmon to monitor
low level info from GPS receivers in binary mode.

I have a u-blox 6 series GPS board connected to a remote serial to
Wifi bridge.  It can be reached on port 23 and gpsmon dutifully
connects to it and works great.  The only limitation that I've found
is that it refuses to accept the 'n' command as that is only allowed
on direct connections.

Is there some other way to get the GPS to move over to u-blox mode?
>From reading other posts here, it sounds like that would could/should
happen automatically at GPS probe time.  If I supply a -t parameter to
tell it to use u-blox format, it says at the top that it's "NMEA0183
(u-blox)".  If I don't specify that it just reports NMEA0183.

This makes me thing that protocol probing is not done for remote
connections?  If I nievely remove the !serial check for the 'n'
command, then nothing is received back from the GPS at all--the
wifi-serial converter has a monitor function and I can see that no
data is coming back from ther GPS.

Has anyone any idea if it would be possible to get this configuration
working in binary mode?

Thank you for your time and for your consideration of my problem.

Cheers,
David