gpsd-users

[gpsd-users] HDOP and fix mode in the python library

From: Fabián Inostroza
Subject: [gpsd-users] HDOP and fix mode in the python library
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2017 03:16:20 -0400

Hi,

I'm using a SIM5320A 3G+GPS module. It works fine but when the fix is lost gpsd and the python library do weird things:

  1. When the fix is lost, the mode given by the python library doesn't get updated, so it is useless.
  2. Because of (1) I have to use hdop and satellites used to determine if the fix is acceptable but when the fix is lost the GPS outputs empty hdop, vdop and pdop and keeps outputting satellite data. In this situation gpsd uses that information to calculate the dilituion values, this sometimes gives very good hdop values but the position is completely wrong.
  3. When the GPS is stationary it gives an empty heading value but gpsd interprets it as 0

Note that cgps produces the same results.

Is there a way to disable the hdop calculation done by gpsd without recompiling?,

I'm using gpsd 3.16 in an embedded ARM linux board and it is more or less difficult to recompile the package

I have attached a log of the nmea output without fix.