gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] using gpsd on Cubieboard with Garmin 16x-HVS and app wr

From: Tom Fanning
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] using gpsd on Cubieboard with Garmin 16x-HVS and app written in Qt
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 16:54:55 +0000

So long as it outputs the NMEA-compliant sentences that gpsd requires, you're good. I suggest you buy one and try it. Return it for a refund if it is not NMEA compliant!

I can't comment on hardware choices, or the urban canyon, since I have no experience.

With regards voltages, please remember that over multi-metre distances, the voltage you measure at the far end of a cable will be lower than the voltage you put in the cable. This is called voltage drop, and is due to the resistance of the wire (it is not a perfect conductor). Physically thicker cables are better, copper cables are better. Don't buy cheap.

On that basis, gut feeling, I would not expect 3.3V input to a 9m cable to be above 3.0V (the RS-232 limit) when it reaches the far end of the cable. For your application, buy an industrial serial adaptor.

Good luck with the project!

On 21 March 2017 at 16:48, Marek Floriańczyk <address@hidden> wrote:
Dnia wtorek, 21 marca 2017 16:24:16 CET piszesz:
> That Garmin has "true RS-232 output" levels
> ref http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/GPS16x_TechnicalSpecifications.pdf
> page 5 section 1.5.5
> whatever that means - RS-232 space (0) is +3V to +15V, mark (1) is -3V to
> -15V

Thanks for answer.
There is a new GPS from Garmin:
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/100686#specs
http://static.garmin.com/pumac/GPS_19x_HVS_Tech_Specs_EN.pdf

with 9m serial cable and 1.5.2.3 section says it handles CMOS serial output
levels 0 Vdc to 3.3 Vdc - looks like my case.
and also needs separate Input Voltage 8-33 Vdc

So would You say this is a better choice ? I can't see it on GPSD compatible
list
http://www.catb.org/gpsd/hardware.html

Generally I need device to put it on the roof of the bus, so it needs to be
waterproof and temp ranges from -10 to +50 Celsius.
However Garmin needs clear sky, and in urban environment there are tall
buildings.

Could You recommend some device ? ;)

Best Regards
Marek