gpsd-users

[gpsd-users] cgps reports 2D fix when my GPS has 3D fix

From: Ilya Tatar
Subject: [gpsd-users] cgps reports 2D fix when my GPS has 3D fix
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 21:09:24 +0000 (UTC)

Hello,
I went through the docs on http://www.catb.org/gpsd/gpsd-time-service-howto.html to setup my GPS unit with gpsd/ntp on my PC. In multiple places, this document repeats that 3D fix must be obtained before PPS signal can be used.: "You should run gpsmon or cgps to verify your GPS receiver has a 3D lock before worrying about timekeeping."
cgps shows that I have 2D fix. However I know that my GPS has obtained a 3D fix. How does cgps determine fix type? I am only sending PPS and NMEA GPRMC sentence and I don't think this sentence has fix information.
Will gpsd/ntp stack work correctly?
Thank you.