gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Inexpensive GPS with PPS search continues.

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Inexpensive GPS with PPS search continues.
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 00:46:40 -0700

Yo Roger!

On Wed, 24 Aug 2016 07:37:17 +0000
Roger Oberholtzer <address@hidden> wrote:

> Thanks for all the feedback on my search for a low-end GPS receiver
> with PPS. When we finish our searches, I will at least report on the
> receivers we tried. Work continues.

Cool.  I hope you include the GR-601W, GR-701W and GR-801W in your
results.

There are also many good HATS for Rasberry Pi's: Uputrinics, Adafruit,
and many others.

So the market is wide open, but I suspect your needs are ore narrow.
Be sure to mention your needs, before mentioning particular products.
USB, Serial, HAT, weather proof, etc.

> Another interesting point was brought up here: configuration without
> the need to run a Windows program. Sometimes these will run via Wine.
> Sometimes not. Is there any Linux app that allows configuration of
> some select receivers? Given that these things are receiver-specific,
> I would imagine not. But I have a feeling I saw some reference to
> this sort of thing somewhere. Anyone know about this type of thing?

gpsctl can configure the speed, and ascii/binary modes of many GPS.
gpsd also sends config packets to many GPS to put them in sane modes.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588