gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] gps setup fails

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] gps setup fails
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2016 17:31:06 -0700

Yo Eugene!

On Mon, 22 Aug 2016 18:36:02 -0500
Eugene B Imes <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, 2016-08-22 at 14:55 -0700, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> > Yo Eugene!
> >
> > On Mon, 22 Aug 2016 16:35:48 -0500
> > Eugene B Imes <address@hidden> wrote:
> >

> > > Well, I want gpsd to be running at the end of the log I presented.
> > > It
> > > is not. Maybe there is a option that I should include. I tried '-
> > > n'.
> > > No joy.
> >
> > And how do you know it is not?  Can you define 'running'?
>
> 'p gpsd' does it everytime
>
> address@hidden:~# alias p
> ps aux | grep

OK, not good.

> > Have you looked at the troubleshooting.html file and followed its
> > instructions?
>
> Yes, no go.

Well, I guess I gotta add "cat /dev/ttyAMA0" in there.

> > And before you even look at gpsd, you need to confirm your GPS is
> > running
> > fine:
> >     # cat /dec/ttyAMA0
>
> This yields nothing. However if I start gpsd manually the log will
> show gps messages every second.

Well, no point looking at much else until that works.

> 'gpsd -D 9 -n -N -F /var/run/gpsd.sock'
>
> gpsd then runs normally and xgps works as well.

Not my recommended way to run gpsd, what did you do that did not work?

And that only works when a bunch of other distro specific stuff is setup.

I'm thinking maybe you are not getting the right serial port, or
serial port setup properly?

> 'udevadm --debug monitor' didn't give much either, just plug and
> unplug events.

Now I am really confused, you think your GPS is on /dev/ttyAMA0, but
then you wonder why it does not show up on USB??

What are the details for your setup?  What type host?  Distro?
Configuration? GPS?  What serial port?

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588