gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Garmin 18X-5Hz

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Garmin 18X-5Hz
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2016 11:44:51 -0700

Yo Roger!

On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 14:24:06 +0000
Roger Oberholtzer <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 12 Aug 2016, at 20:31, Gary E. Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > Why would anyone buy a ten year old GPS model???  New ones are SOO
> > much better.
>
> We want PPS as well as NMEA. Not many receivers were suggested in my
> recent question to the list. This is a new type of GPS for us. We
> have always used high-end Trimble, Applanix or OxTS devices.

The cool thing about the Trimbles, and similar, is the grat hold-up
time for PPS.  Some specify an accurate PPS for a day after signal
loss.  A modern PPS, like a Venus 828F will perform as well as a
Trimble as long as it has a good lock.  And good lock is easy with
the super sensitivity these have.

ddrown just put a Venus 828F in a metal bag, and it STILL give him good
PPS.

> I can't say we are excited by the Garmin devices.

I coulda told you that.

> Other suggestions are welcome.

Well, we would need some more parameters: quantity, electrical needs,
interface type, weather sealed, mounting needs, etc.

I find the BU-353 to perform pretty well, if you can buy the -S3 version,
not the -S4 version.  It is in a weather sealed case, magnetic mount.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588