gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Garmin 18X-5Hz

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Garmin 18X-5Hz
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 14:37:50 -0700

Yo Alexander!

On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 14:18:54 -0700
Alexander Carver <address@hidden> wrote:

> > So what are your results and what is your setup?
>
> A couple Sparc R220 servers, an SS20 pizza box, a couple IPXes (for
> fun)
[...]

Nice, but none of it answers my questions:

What are your results, hard numbers and graphs please.  A/B preferred.

What is your setup: exact configuration files please.

> > How can you tell it is correct?  Does ppstest work?  Does gpsd say
> > it see kpps on startup?
>
> Yes, ppstest worked fine in all cases, ntpd driver 22 registered the
> pulses as well, and gpsd claimed it saw kpps.

Odd, what versions of gpsd and ntpd?

> > Ditto here.  A ton of hosts, a ton of OS, no reported problems but
> > yours.
> >
> > Details please.
>
> See above.

Sorry, I saw no details.

What are your results, hard numbers and graphs please.  A/B preferred.

What is your setup: exact configuration files please.

> > Then check out the number of CERT advisories this year for NTP
> > Classic versus NTPsec.
> >
> > Does that look healthy to you?
>
> Doesn't entirely scare me.  What actually scares me is if this is the
> full replacement for ntpd and and you decide Driver 22 or remote
> monitoring (e.g. ntpq) will go away.  At that point I'm left with no
> choices but to run old ntpd code.

I'm not deciding anything, take it up with them.  I just happen to
agree, too many problems with driver 22.  But it wil not be going away
soon.

The remote ntpq turned out to be a security nightmare.  I do agree that
it was probably ripped out a bit prematurely.  My preference is always
to have the replacemennt done before ripping out the old badness.  If I
were to try to read Eric's min, and I am a bad mindreader, I think he
feels that ripping out the old badness will cause people to code up the
replaecment faster.

In neither case do I get a vote, feel free to take up those complaints
with them; address@hidden

The gpsd-users list is for how to get gpsd/ntpd to play well together.
Driver 22 is known to be an inferior solution.  Driver 28, SHM(), for
now is the superior solution.  At least until you can provide hard
data, and hard configurations to prove otherwise.

I'm not saying there are not problems withh the SHM() driver, some were
discussed today on #ntpsec.  At least on NTPsec progress is being made.
With 7 months without an NTP classic commit you are stuck with old
grotty code.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588