gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] [gpsd-dev] Baud barf problem on Pi3 SOLVED

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] [gpsd-dev] Baud barf problem on Pi3 SOLVED
Date: Tue, 3 May 2016 20:12:03 -0700

Yo Bernd!

On Tue, 3 May 2016 21:50:38 +0200
Bernd Zeimetz <address@hidden> wrote:

> hi Gary!
>
> >> The major pain at the moment is that too many programs are still
> >> stuck with sysv init scripts.
> >
> > Thus the newbie mistake of failing to ensure back compatibility.
> > Programmers that say 'my way or the highway' are not my friends.
>
> oh, I did not say its not perfectly backward compatible, actually it
> is. But it is much more annoying to fight with shell snippets and
> files which are sourced from somewhere than to configure a systemd
> service. Also systemd comes with a lot of features one wants to have,
> which are not supported by these programs yet.

Maybe so, but I know a lot of people that tried and failed at using
existing scripts or writing new service descriptions.

Since it is easy, maybe you can fix, and document the gpsd service?

And my personal pet peave; the binary syslog.  That is INSANE!

> >> https://codesearch.debian.net/results/poettering/page_0
> >
> > Bad link?
>
> hmm, works for me. javascript disabled?

Oh, I was expecting a web page, that is just code search results.  You
can get a zillion hits on that by one commit.  Then your name appears
in all further revisions for all time.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588