gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] issues with u-blox m8l ADR

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] issues with u-blox m8l ADR
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 10:35:20 -0700

Yo Jorick!

On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 11:59:25 +0200
Jorick Astrego <address@hidden> wrote:

> > If the messages are very similar, then adding some compatibility to
> > that function mmay be fine.  But if data is in different places in
> > the packet best to make a copy for the new messages.
> >
> The packets are not very similar as gpsd still uses the deprecated
> UBX-NAV-SOL, the UBX-NAV-HNR is looking more like UBX-NAV-PVT. So I'm
> currently working on getting UBX-NAV-PVT working as that is publicly
> documented
> (u-blox8-M8_ReceiverDescrProtSpec_(UBX-13003221)_Public.pdf page 269).

Cool.  If you want, we can review patches before you think they are done.

Since it is additional functionality we can add in any work in progress
that does not break existing functionality.

> Then it's easier to get the ADR specific code into place. I have
> another U-blox M8N without NDA and ADR so I could send you this raw
> data?

Yeah.  A patch and a matching raw data file and then we can create
regression tests.

> > And any derived data may also be restricted.  We can't take a patch
> > if it has any restrictions.  So beat on uBlox for us.
> >
> Working on it ;-) Patches for UBX-NAV-PVT would be ok?

As long as you send them to us saying that your work to us can got
out in a BSD license.  Then gpsd is covered, you will want to be sure
your friends at uBlox agree.

> Ok no problem, we have a land based application with computer vision
> so can customize a bit for that.
> >>      from "driver_ubx.h"
> >>
> >>        case UBX_MODE_GPSDR:    /* FIX-ME: DR-aided GPS may be
> >> valid 3D */ session->newdata.mode = MODE_2D;
> > If you can positively identify that condition, and back it up with
> > uBlox documentation then we would love that patch.
> I'll see what we can do.

Note from that comment: DR-aided.

gpsd does not pass on DR data as we have seen it to be wildly inaccurate.

At some point gpsd may need to add a DR mode indicator and let the user
decide, but for now we err on the side of caution.

I have seen GPS in survey or time mode that does not report 3D mode, but
has another indicator of good location.  Like TIME mode, plus altitude.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588