gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Raspberry Pi progress

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Raspberry Pi progress
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 13:21:33 -0700

Yo Eric!

On Wed, 20 Apr 2016 16:09:26 -0400
"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Gary E. Miller <address@hidden>:
> > > gpsd -n -N -D 5 /dev/ttyAMA0 /dev/pps0
> > >
> > > yields an attempt to open /dev/pps0 as a GPS device, failing.
> >
> > Yes, that is normal, it is not a GPS device.  So theserial open
> > should fail, but, when I coded it last year the PPS thread would
> > continue.
> >
> > Given other breakage recently noted in the file opening area I can
> > believe it got broken in the last few months.
> >
> > There is a recent patch to gpsd-dev to fix some of the breakage.
>
> Do you have time to dig into this?  I'm up to my eyeballs in the HOWTO
> and other stuff, and the PPS code is your baby.

Hmm, I'll try to get this before Penguincon, I'm hip deep in Skytraq.
Their tech support is now actually acting on my bug reprots and I want
to strike while the iron is hot.

Plus I'm looking into whatever latent bug I uncovered in the RTCM 3
code.  Also of interest to Skytraq as they have some broken RTCM 3.2 as
well.

There is no new code for RTCM 3.2, the RTCM code just passes unknown
message along in hex.  But the new longer messages are breaking
something.  Something different than the length bug I already fixed that
is specific to Wheezy on armhf.

And then, of course, been neglecting som $DAYJOBs as this is more fun.

> Sounds like the open failure is emitting a spurious message that ought
> to be suppressed.

Well, that is problematic.  I guess if a device is /dev/pps* we can
try to NOT open it as a gps, but I'll have to get my head around how
to fake the packet engine to cooperate.

I really hate fixing the same bug twice, people touch the PPS code when
they do not know how to test it.  So I am really happy gpsd-dev is
working on PPS stuff, even it it is for NTPSec.  :-)

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588