gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Field reports from Raspberry Pi GPS HAT users?

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Field reports from Raspberry Pi GPS HAT users?
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 00:26:12 -0400

Jon Brase <address@hidden>:
> I was getting baud barf early on. Unfortunately, I don't really remember
> what solved it. Since you're on the 3 I'd probably check Frank Nicholas's
> thing about Bluetooth/Wi-fi first.

I intend to.

> Did you install the Raspbian repository version of GPSD, by any chance? That
> is misconfigured for systemd, although the symptom I remember tracing back
> to that was different (systemd takes over TCP ports occupied by services it
> starts, then passes the data to the process. GPSD was dieing as a result of
> misconfiguration, but systemd wasn't releasing the port).

I believe you.  I wasn't running in a mode where that would be a problem.

> In any case, I'd strip systemd, which is what I did in the end. I'd actually
> dealt with all of the systemd-related GPSD configuration issues, but then
> found that it was hogging CPU. I Googled the issue, found it to be a common
> complaint for systemd across different architectures, replaced systemd with
> sysvinit, and behold, no more CPU pegging.

Yeah, I believe that.  It sounds like a good idea not just on
performance but o complexity-reduction grounds - frankly I don't trust
any monster monolith like systemd as far as I can throw it. If I
"apt-get install sysvinit", will that back out systemd cleanly?