gpsd-users

[gpsd-users] NMEA sentence requirements

From: Roger Oberholtzer
Subject: [gpsd-users] NMEA sentence requirements
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2016 07:10:18 +0000

As we use more and more of the gpsd features/information, we keep finding that we need to enable this and that NMEA sentence. To sort out what the relevant ones may be is solved by looking at the source. For example, we see that hdop does not seem to come simply from an hdop entry in an NMEA record. Instead, calculations are performed by gpsd using data from various records.

Have I missed a document that describes what sentences are required for various items in, say, the shared memory segment? This is also interesting for programs like xgps that show more information as various NMEA sentences are enabled (i.e., gpsd can perform more calculations). Without the sentences, xgps does not provide some information.

Roger Oberholtzer

RST Systems

Office: +46 (0)10-615 6020
Mobile: +46 (0)70-815 1696