gpsd-users

[gpsd-users] ✘it's always something

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: [gpsd-users] ✘it's always something
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2016 14:06:11 -0700

Yo All!

"Well, Jane, it just goes to show you, it's always something
        — if it ain't one thing, it's another."
                    -- Roseanne Roseannadanna

As list traffic shows, I've been hacking this week on gpsd.  But not
quite as fast as I could have been, due to some unexpected ahrdware issues.

First off: "28dB gain GPS Antenna"

I now have 3 of these, right next to each other.  One give me 28dB, one
32dB, and one 35 dB, on the sam PRN, when plugged into the same GPS.
Sitting in my south facing window, the 7dB difference yields from zero
sats in use to 4 in use.

Moral: similar looking, similar specified GPS antennas are not similar!

Second: USB cables

I found out last year that some USB cables can not deliver enough power
to keep my phone charged if it is on.  Other cables will charge my
QC 2.0 phone in about 30 minutes.  Just swapping the cable, not the
charger.

The details of that are not important here, but I have taken to buying 20AWG
USB cables since they charge so well.

This week I've been playing with some USB GPS, and having them crash hard
frequently, requiring a power cycle.  When I switched from my new 20 AWG
USB cables to some older cables, the crashes went away.

Moral: Some USB cables are good for power, some for signal, none for both.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588