gpsd-users

[gpsd-users] Python3 Interface to GPSD

From: Moe
Subject: [gpsd-users] Python3 Interface to GPSD
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2016 11:16:28 +1100

I am writing a Python 3 interface to GPSD.

https://github.com/wadda/gps3/blob/master/gps3.py

"""
GPS3 (gps3.py) is a Python 2.7-3.5 GPSD interface (http://www.catb.org/gpsd)
Defaults host='127.0.0.1', port=2947, gpsd_protocol='json'

GPS3 has two classes.
1) 'GPSDSocket' to create a socket connection and retreive the output from GPSD.
2) 'Fix' unpacks the streamed gpsd data into python dictionaries.

These dictionaries are populated from the JSON data packet sent from the GPSD.

Import        import gps3
Instantiate   gps_connection = gps3.GPSDSocket(host='192.168.0.4')
              gps_fix = gps3.Fix()
Iterate       for new_data in gps_connection:
                  if new_data:
                      gps_fix.refresh(new_data)
Use                   print('Altitude = ',gps_fix.TPV['alt'])
                      print('Latitude = ',gps_fix.TPV['lat'])

Consult Lines 153-ff for Attribute/Key possibilities.
or http://www.catb.org/gpsd/gpsd_json.html

Run human.py; python[X] human.py [arguments] for a human experience.
"""

While it's rudimentarily functional, I'm looking for constructive feedback.

As a gpsd user, if you have time, please have a look and tell me what you think
by any means you think is appropriate.

The showcase script to demo the gps3 interface is

https://github.com/wadda/gps3/blob/master/human.py

Thank you for your time and attention in this matter.

--
Moe <address@hidden>