gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Is GPSD receiving PPS?

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Is GPSD receiving PPS?
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2016 11:03:46 -0800

Yo Bo!

On Mon, 07 Mar 2016 18:59:56 +0100
Bo Berglund <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Mar 2016 09:38:54 -0800, "Gary E. Miller" <address@hidden>
> wrote:

> >That should be all you need to do, the rest of build.txt is for when
> >something is missing.
> >
> Regarding source versus binary:
> When I build for example freepascal and lazarus from sources on a
> fresh system I have always to first do an apt-get install on a number
> of dependencies.

Yes, that would be for whan something is missing.

> If I don't then the build will fail.

Of course.

> So that is why I assumed that these dependencies were also required
> for gpsd if I build from sources...

Good assumption, but you also assumed apt-get knows about the dependencies
for the tar ball, which is does not.

> Does this mean that I should uninstall gpsd using apt-get before I run
> scons && scons check && sudo scons udev-install

YES!  Otherwise you get two different versions of gpsd installed and you
will confuse yourself and the system.

> The final udev-install feels like it will put stuff someplace where
> apt-get might already have used...

scons will put most of the install under /usr/local.  But you system
will still also bee looking in /usr too, so untablging the mess confuses
all who try.  Keep it simple, get rid os the old distro 3.11 and use
your new 3.16.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588