gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] STATUS_DGPS_FIX mystery

From: Roger Oberholtzer
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] STATUS_DGPS_FIX mystery
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 08:52:49 +0000

> From: Eric S. Raymond address@hidden
>> Gary E. Miller <address@hidden>:

>> Eric, any reason for this commit?  Looks like a step backwards.  I
>> would like STATUS_DGPS_FIX restored.

> Why? What you really want to know in practuce is the XYZ %95 error , no?

We use the gpsd shared memory segment to access current gps information.
Previously we were parsing the NMEA strings ourselves. In our measurement
systems, the operators are instructed to monitor the status. We use receivers
that should be in DGPS mode during data collection. If they are not, the
operator needs to figure out what is wrong. And decide if not being in DGPS is
constant or intermittent. When measuring way up in northern Sweden in tree
canyons, this is relevant information. While this may not be the most robust
test one can do, our years of experience have led us to think that it is a
useful metric of quality.

It seems odd to me to hide information that the GPS is providing.

If I connect a GPS receiver that does not indicate DGPS mode, then I should not
be surprised if gpsd does not report that mode. OTOH, if I hook up a receiver
that goes to all the trouble to report DGPS mode and gpsd does not report it, I
think it would be correct to be confused. How is it possible, with such a
receiver, to determine that the GPS is using DGPS?

Roger Oberholtzer

RST Systems

Office: +46 (0)10-615 6020
Mobile: +46 (0)70-815 1696