gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] cgps not reporting tracked satellites

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] cgps not reporting tracked satellites
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2016 12:11:04 -0800

Yo Alex!

The good folks at Jackson Labs just donated a GPSTCXO eval kit so I can
improve gpsd support for it.  I should have that by next week.  In any
case I would not look at it before 3.16 ships, hopefully this week.

On Wed, 6 Jan 2016 10:44:47 -0500
Alex Olihovik <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'd like to use gps_send() to issue the "SYST:STAT?" command, read
> that output, and then write it directly to file. I'm interested in
> recording all those PRN fields over the time that my gps is powered
> on, every few seconds or so.

Looking at the GPSTCXO manual I see they only support GPGGA an GPRMC
NMEA sentences.  So I agree with your need here.

> It looks like the gps_send() command is deprecated and unstable;
> should I query this info another way? If not, is there a concrete
> example of how I'd issue that command?

I think the proper way to handle this class of device is with a full
blown driver.  I'd probably copy the driver_nmea0183.c file as a start.
Then the driver would need a way to detect if a JL device is connected.

Once detected the driver would send the sequence to the GPS to enable
NMEA mode.  That gets you basic GPGGA and GPRMC.  Then I'd modify the
driver to request a SYST:STAT every time it gets a GPGGA and also add
a decoded for the SYST:STAT output.  Then the PRN data would be
shipped to gpsd clients in JJSON just like that from any other GPS.

Before I look at it you could try sending SYST:STAT with gpsctl and see
if you could pick the data out from the debug logs.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588