gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Trimble GPS model 57963

From: Chris Kuethe
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Trimble GPS model 57963
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 20:45:07 -0800

Thanks for the info.

"Obscure" and "obsolete" don't necessarily disqualify a device from
being supported by gpsd if there is good documentation, I doubt there
were too many itrax03 users out there, but I wrote a driver for it
anyway. And I've bought a bunch of late-90's/early-2000's receivers
over the years to have devices to test with...

The bigger problem is that this doesn't seem to gratuitously emit PVT
status, and we don't have a framework in gpsd for doing polling.
Quality (*DOP) is available, you're right - V isn't. I think this
thing's firmware assumes that GPSDO users tend to not be moving.. If
you're feeling handy with a soldering iron you might be able to find
where the GPS chip connects to the MCU and throw a line buffer/driver
on to take a copy of the serial data. But that's kind of getting away
from just plugging it into gpsd and having it work.