gpsd-users

[gpsd-users] Trimble GPS model 57963

From: Paul
Subject: [gpsd-users] Trimble GPS model 57963
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 08:19:45 +0000

I've been playing with a Trimble GPS/OCXO board model 57963-D
which I can't find any documentation for.

The board has RS232 comms but doesn't use NMEA or TSIP.
It has a text based protocol at 57600 baud which offers
a prompt

  UCCM-P >

and sending a ? brings up a helpful list of commands.  It can
be told to send timing strings which it does, one per second
and I can see in the fixed length packet the GPS time counting
upwards and there's a GPS time offset field too.

gpsd doesn't seem to recognise the protocol though.
It appears to be reacting to the pulse-per-second that comes
out on one of the modem control lines, but I don't think
it's decoding the time messages.

Anyone come across these before?  Does gpsd support it?
If not, should I write a gpsd driver for it?  I'd like to
get this thing working with ntpd.

--
Paul Nicholson
Todmorden, UK.