gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] syslog error message with new version - kernel PPS fail

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] syslog error message with new version - kernel PPS failed Connection timed out
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2015 10:29:04 -0700

Yo hans!

On Thu, 02 Jul 2015 14:58:59 +0200
hans mayer <address@hidden> wrote:

> my environment: i am testing 2 banana pi with raspbian os.
> these servers should be used as ntp server.

The RasPi takes seom etra configuration to get right.  Be sure to read
the gpsd specific doc on the RasPi.

> but i see also the following in the syslog:
> Jul  1 23:42:42 gps0 gpsd[2195]: gpsd:ERROR: KPPS:/dev/ttyS2 kernel
> PPS failed Connection timed out
> Jul  1 23:42:45 gps0 gpsd[2195]: gpsd:ERROR: KPPS:/dev/ttyS2 kernel
> PPS failed Connection timed out
> Jul  1 23:42:48 gps0 gpsd[2195]: gpsd:ERROR: KPPS:/dev/ttyS2 kernel
> PPS failed Connection timed out

Your PPS is not as good as it needs to be.  No RFC 2783 support.  Are
you getting any PPS at all?

> reading http://www.catb.org/gpsd/installation.html
> i see it falls back to user ID nobody.
> for my opinion it has not enough privileges. maybe the old version
> had a different behavior.

KPPS is opened before dropping privs.

> is there a way to force this daemon to run as root ?

No need, just start as root.

> this error msg is not nice and it fills up the syslog.

Yeah, you need too fix your KPPS.

> The interesting thing, ntp is still working perfectly accurate.

How do you know?  Without KPPS you are losing precision.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588