gpsd-users

[gpsd-users] syslog error message with new version - kernel PPS failed C

From: hans mayer
Subject: [gpsd-users] syslog error message with new version - kernel PPS failed Connection timed out
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2015 14:58:59 +0200

dear gpsd users

my environment: i am testing 2 banana pi with raspbian os.
these servers should be used as ntp server.
as gps module i bought this module:
http://ava.upuaut.net/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_60&product_id=95

i followed the instructions from internet, installed os and
the packages, configured ntp and it worked really great.

this is /etc/default/gpsd
START_DAEMON="true"
GPSD_OPTIONS="-n"
DEVICES="/dev/ttyS2"
USBAUTO="false"
GPSD_SOCKET="/var/run/gpsd.sock"

but i realized, that "cgps" was flickering.
also "xgps" was permanently switching between 2 sets of satellites.
i have seen i have had

# /usr/sbin/gpsd -V
gpsd: 3.6 (revision 3.6)

on the web there is a much younger version.
so i downloaded this source tree, compiled and installed.

# /usr/local/sbin/gpsd -V
/usr/local/sbin/gpsd: 3.15 (revision 3.15)

now "cgps" and "xgps" gives a stable picture.
in my opinion much more satellites are seen too.

but i see also the following in the syslog:
Jul 1 23:42:42 gps0 gpsd[2195]: gpsd:ERROR: KPPS:/dev/ttyS2 kernel PPS failed Connection timed out Jul 1 23:42:45 gps0 gpsd[2195]: gpsd:ERROR: KPPS:/dev/ttyS2 kernel PPS failed Connection timed out Jul 1 23:42:48 gps0 gpsd[2195]: gpsd:ERROR: KPPS:/dev/ttyS2 kernel PPS failed Connection timed out

this comes in more or less regular intervals of 3 seconds
all over the time.

what i have done wrong ?
nothing changed than the version of "gpsd".
on both bananas the same issue.

i run gpsd in debug mode -D3 too
part of the output is
gpsd:ERROR: KPPS:/dev/ttyS2 kernel PPS failed Interrupted system call
gpsd:INFO: running with effective group ID 20
gpsd:INFO: running with effective user ID 65534

reading http://www.catb.org/gpsd/installation.html
i see it falls back to user ID nobody.
for my opinion it has not enough privileges. maybe the old version had a different behavior.

is there a way to force this daemon to run as root ?

this error msg is not nice and it fills up the syslog.

The interesting thing, ntp is still working perfectly accurate.

kind regards
hans