gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Will proprietary NMEA extensions be included in gpsd?

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Will proprietary NMEA extensions be included in gpsd?
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 18:51:49 -0700

Yo Svenn!

On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 23:07:04 +0200
Svenn Are Bjerkem <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am playing with a NVS NV08C-CSM GPS+Galileo+Glonass GNSS module and
> see that the proprietary $PORZD is flagged as unknown sentence.
>
> I guess it would be too much if every vendors proprietary messages
> would be implemented.

gpsd supports a lot of vendor extentions, but we need documentation
to do so.

I took a quick look on their web site and see the info we would need:

http://www.nvs-gnss.com/support/documentation/item/download/51.html

PORZD is an odd thing: "RMS error of plane coordinates.

Why not use the standard sentences for reporting errors?  GPGGA and
GPGLL aklready provide the HDOP which is more useful than the RMS error
of the PORZD.  GPDOP provides PDOP, HDOP and VDOP.

Anything in their proprietary messages that add value?

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588