gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Debian Jessie and configuring gpsd

From: Gary Hodges - NOAA Affiliate
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Debian Jessie and configuring gpsd
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 10:47:12 -0600

On 06/15/2015 09:20 AM, Darac Marjal wrote:
On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 08:58:32AM -0600, Gary Hodges - NOAA Affiliate wrote:
Hi.  For the past couple of years I've used gpsd successfully on various
(K)Ubuntu and Debian Squeeze systems.  Up to now all I've had to do was run
"sudo dpkg-reconfigure gpsd", answer a few questions and it was off the
races.

With Debian Jessie I get the following when trying to do the same:

address@hidden:~$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure gpsd
Warning: Stopping gpsd.service, but it can still be activated by:
   gpsd.socket
Creating/updating gpsd user account...
address@hidden:~$

Is there a new/different way to bring up the configuration dialog?

 From the debian changelog (installed at /usr/share/doc/gpsd/changelog.gz
on your system):

gpsd (3.10-1) experimental; urgency=low

   * [d26d1c6f] Get rid of debconf questions.
     Also provide a sane /etc/default/gpsd and move
     from using /var/run to /run.

  -- Bernd Zeimetz <address@hidden>  Sat, 23 Nov 2013 14:33:46 +0100

So, it would appear that, from version 3.10-1 onwards, the preferred way
to reconfigure gpsd is to edit /etc/default/gpsd, and restart the
daemon.

Thank you for the reply. Also thanks for the pointer to the changelog (changelog.Debian BTW). I'm not sure I would have gleaned your conclusion from it had I known of its existence, but good to know nonetheless.

Gary