gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] 1PPS works on CH340G based usb-serial converter

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] 1PPS works on CH340G based usb-serial converter
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 11:48:19 -0700

Yo Chen!

On Tue, 24 Mar 2015 16:10:58 +0800
Chen Wei <address@hidden> wrote:

> The GPS is a ublox-5 module. The 1PPS wire is soldered to CH340G's DCD
> pin:
>
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/509097/CH340G-usb-gps-1PPS.png

I do not understand your setup.  Can you explain a bit more?

> NTP only works with PPS from gpsd shared memory.

No, there is the new ntpd gpsd-json driver, as well as the ATOM
driver.

> The Type 22 reference
> clock of NTP is not working,

That would be an ntpd problem, not a gpsd problem.

> probably because the 1PPS from this
> USB-GPS combination is not good enough, which indicated by the kernel
> error message "hardpps: PPSJITTER: bad pulse".

Garbage in, garbage out.  Any idea why?  Have you put a scope on it?

In any case, I am not familiar with the hardpps driver, it is not used
by gpsd.

> The kernel accept 1PPS
> from the same GPS module when it connected to GPIO though.

With some limitations.  The pps-gpio driver only timestamps the
asser edge, not the clear edge.  I jsut reported that bug to the
maintainters, they are still in denial.

> The jitter of this USB-GPS is around 300-700 micro-seconds.

Which jitter, the serial time jitter or the PPS jitter?  I assume you
mean the PPS jitter?

How long did you let the system run?  I find it takes days for a RasPi
clock to settle down.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588