gpsd-users

[gpsd-users] Advice on gpsctl type interface

From: Frederik Lotter
Subject: [gpsd-users] Advice on gpsctl type interface
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 11:48:43 +0200

Hi,

I need a way to use some custom uBLOX commands through gpsd. I see in the mailing list someone has sent vendor specific low power mode instructions to the modem using 'gpsctl'.

Could you help me understand how this will work in my case please?

We have an application which will use the gpsd socket output to get location data. However we have other propitiatory functionality like antenna detection and low power mode which the application must control (but there is only one serial interface to the uBLOX gps).

1. Can gpsctl run while the gpsd daemon is active? In other words the serial port comms are muxed internally in gpsd?

2. Instead of calling gpsctl externally as a process, can my application achieve the same by linking against one of the libraries?

3. If yes, i guess I will need to build a proxy application to overcome GPL license issues as our application is propitiatory.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Regards,
Frederik Lotter

MiX Telematics South Africa