gpsd-users

[gpsd-users] Advice on using gpsd

From: Frederik Lotter
Subject: [gpsd-users] Advice on using gpsd
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 06:44:43 -0000

Hi all,

I am looking at options for using gpsd in a bigger embedded system which requires not only PTV, but also additional GPS functionality like antenna diagnostics and additional proprietary functionality which requires read/write access to the GPS from an additional software block.

I see that gpsd has a read-only mode so I was thinking of feeding gpsd on a replicated read only data stream off a dummy device, while using the real tty device for the proprietary software block.

It looks from the website that adding certain features to gpsd will not be considered unless they are considered generic, which makes me think contributing code for my purpose of supporting our UBLOX gps feature set in gpsd is probably not the right way?

So, could you kindly assist me with the following questions:

(1) How do people use gpsd in parallel with another software component which also requires read/write control of the gps device over a single serial interface, given gpsd will never support the full feature set of a given GPS chip?

(2) Would it be better to use the gpsd library and write a replacement daemon with the required support features?

(3) Apart from reading, which kind of write operations are performed by gpsd?

(4) How robust is gpsd in read-only mode, considering another active software block could reconfigure some aspects which may change the data stream seen by gpsd?

Kind Regards,
Frederik Lotter