gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] heading info ?

From: Niall Parker
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] heading info ?
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 23:03:43 -0800

On 14-01-05 05:23 PM, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
Niall Parker <address@hidden>:

                        $HCHDG is a possible NMEA output
string, is this handled by gpsd anywhere (for any device ?)
No, but it would be pretty trivial to add.  Please follow the
FAQ directions for sending in an annotated output sample.
Finally found a Garmin tech support person willing to work through the details, good news is that I can clearly see the heading output from my Oregon 450 ($HCHDG) when connected via USB in spanner mode.

Bad news is this is only on a winXP box running GPSGATE client ... as I'd like to do this in Linux with gpsd I have some work to do. I assume there is some way to use gpscat to get the lower level data but I haven't figured it out yet.

Steps done so far:

  1. update to latest release (3.10, was 3.4 on Ubuntu 12.04).
    • Built from source after installing build-deps
    • scons check ran nominally without error (saw issue with shared memory invalid but saw in archives this is transient)
  2. run ./gpsd -D 5 -N -n /dev/ttyUSB0, seems to work, xgps and gpspipe give basic position data
  3. install to /usr/local etc.
  4. basic operation (hotplug etc) working
  5. gpsmon gives live data, recognized Garmin serial binary
  6. tried gpscat -p /dev/ttyUSB0
    • noted this doesn't work with gpsd, correct ?
    • initially got error on startup :
    • Traceback (most recent call last):
        File "/usr/local/bin/gpscat", line 15, in <module>
          BASELEVEL = sniffer.LOG_IO
      AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'LOG_IO'
  7. hacked sniffer.LOG_IO to be constant 5
  8. tried again ... no data output

Does gpscat/gpsctl need to do something to convince the gps to start spitting out data ? It seems to do it by default with gpsd. gpspipe is outputing the same NMEA sentences I saw before, no HCHDG so I assume that is because gpsd doesn't handle it yet.

Somehow I need to get to the raw data output that GPSGATE is able to parse into HCHDG on winXP ... any thoughts on why I got a python error with gpscat ? any incantation to start a Garmin spitting its data ? Am I correct in assuming it will show up with gpscat if it is coming out ?

Any help appreciated, thanks !

             ... Niall