gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] gpsd-3.10 build fail

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] gpsd-3.10 build fail
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 08:53:21 -0500

Reddeiah Raju Konduru <address@hidden>:
> Hi All,
>
>        I tried to build gpsd-3.10 with
>
>   $ scons --config=force (and)
>   $ scons
>
> In both the cases I am getting the following error
>
> scons: done reading SConscript files.
> scons: Building targets ...
> substituter(["jsongen.py"], ["jsongen.py.in"])
> scons: *** [jsongen.py] TypeError : expected a character buffer object
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/lib/scons/SCons/Action.py", line 1062, in execute
>     result = self.execfunction(target=target, source=rsources, env=env)
>   File "/home/skumar/workspace/products/gpsd/SConstruct", line 1226, in
> substituter
>     content = content.replace(s, t)
> TypeError: expected a character buffer object
> scons: building terminated because of errors.
>

>    But I tried to build the gpsd-3.9, it's successful.
>
> Please help me.

Not reproducing here with a checked-out copy of release 3.10 under Ubuntu 13.10.

1. What OS and distribution are you using?  Is it customized in any way?

2. We need to see what configure options, if any, have been changed
   from their defaults.  As an ecample of what to look for, my build
   says this:

scons: Reading SConscript files ...
Checking if compiler accepts -Wextra ...(cached) yes
Checking if compiler accepts -Wall ...(cached) yes
Checking if compiler accepts -Wno-uninitialized ...(cached) yes
Checking if compiler accepts -Wno-missing-field-initializers ...(cached) yes
Checking if compiler accepts -Wcast-align ...(cached) yes
Checking if compiler accepts -Wmissing-declarations ...(cached) yes
Checking if compiler accepts -Wmissing-prototypes ...(cached) yes
Checking if compiler accepts -Wstrict-prototypes ...(cached) yes
Checking if compiler accepts -Wpointer-arith ...(cached) yes
Checking if compiler accepts -Wreturn-type ...(cached) yes
Checking for chrpath... (cached) yes
Checking whether the C++ compiler works(cached) yes
Checking for ncurses... (cached) yes
Checking for libusb-1.0... (cached) yes
Checking for C library librt... (cached) yes
Checking for C library libcap... (cached) no
Checking for bluez... (cached) no
Checking for C header file sys/timepps.h... (cached) yes
You have kernel PPS available.
Checking for C header file linux/can.h... (cached) yes
You have kernel CANbus available.
Checking if compiler supplies __ORDER_BIG_ENDIAN__ ...(cached) yes
Checking if compiler supplies __ORDER_LITTLE_ENDIAN__ ...(cached) yes
Checking if compiler supplies __BYTE_ORDER__ ...(cached) yes
Your compiler has built-in endianness support.
Checking for C function daemon()... (cached) yes
Checking for C function strlcpy()... (cached) no
Checking for C function strlcat()... (cached) no
Checking for C function clock_gettime()... (cached) yes
Checking for C function pselect()... (cached) yes
Checking if sys/ioctl.h supplies TIOCMIWAIT ...(cached) yes
Checking that xsltproc can make man pages... (cached) yes
Checking for QtNetwork... (cached) no
Altered configuration variables:
bluez = False (default True): BlueZ support for Bluetooth devices

The most important part is right at the end - Altered configuration variables.

3. Please try building from the repository head.

4. If all else fails, use git bisect starting at 3.9 to find out which commit
broke your build.