gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] [gpsd-dev] Getting the driver-switching logic right

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] [gpsd-dev] Getting the driver-switching logic right
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2013 11:20:13 -0400

I think your proposal makes sense.  Two comments/concerns:

  The notion of a single fallback driver in the processing chain seems
  arbitrarily limiting.  And the notion of "unique packet for a driver
  with control capabilities" seems overly broad.  I see (perhaps with
  overly zealous CS complexity) a DAG of drivers, where a device can be
  handled by any driver downstream of the right one, with the most
  upstream one being correct.  This is essentially what you've done,
  except that there is only one link in the DAG from "right driver" to
  "NMEA-flavor driver, with implicit links from the special-NMEA drivers
  to the generic NMEA driver.    So perhaps the world fits now and will
  fit into your model.  With the full DAG model, the rule is to move
  upstream only, or really not to move downstream on a match.

  These rules have to interact with device changes.  I think your rules
  mostly work, but in rule 2, I think a check "and the packet is
  consistent with the currently selected driver" is needed.