gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Python client bindings

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Python client bindings
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 11:41:03 -0400

Stoyan Haralampiev <address@hidden>:
> I'll prepare a list of the problems I noticed and will send it to you.
> Meanwhile I decided to go collect raw NMEA output from the GPS and use an
> NMEA parser offline to get useful data out of the log.

This is not a good idea!  Any offline NMEA parser other than GPSD's,
whatever it is, is fairly likely to break in some obscure way if you
change receivers.  NMEA 0183 is a weak standard; getting the whole
range of allegedly-NMEA devices right is *hard*.  Bypassing GPSD's
parsing stage, whixch has been pre-tested on a wide range of devices,
is asking for trouble.

> Do you have some kind of offline API in gpsd for looking at a NMEA log file
> instead of a live GPS connection? Do you think I'll miss something
> important if I go this way instead of using GPSD for receiving GPS data?

Look at gpsdecode(1).  I don't think you'll miss anything.