gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Python client bindings

From: Stoyan Haralampiev
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Python client bindings
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 22:38:31 +0300

Hi Eric,

Thank you for the reply!

I'll prepare a list of the problems I noticed and will send it to you. Meanwhile I decided to go collect raw NMEA output from the GPS and use an NMEA parser offline to get useful data out of the log.

Do you have some kind of offline API in gpsd for looking at a NMEA log file instead of a live GPS connection? Do you think I'll miss something important if I go this way instead of using GPSD for receiving GPS data?

I know gpsd does a lot more than this but in my case I just need to have a gps log from a motorcycle and then analyze it to get a route and max/avg speed for different sections of it.

Thanks,
Tony

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 8:48 PM, Eric S. Raymond <address@hidden> wrote:
Stoyan Haralampiev <address@hidden>:
> Dear gpsd team,
>
> I wrote a simple gpsd client which logs gps data in an XML file in order to
> create tracks for adventure travelers. During debugging I found out gps
> data parsing is not completely implemented and some gps fix fields are not
> populated.
>
> Can you please elaborate on this? How complete are the Python bindings? Is
> someone actively working on them? Are the C client bindings the most stable
> ones?
>
> Thanks,
> Tony

The C client bindings are the most stable and tested, but the Python ones
are *supposed* to be complete.  Can you be more specific about the errors?