gpsd-users

[gpsd-users] Pipe data to non-gpsd aware applications Re: Earthmate Hype

From: Crew
Subject: [gpsd-users] Pipe data to non-gpsd aware applications Re: Earthmate Hyperformance
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 00:12:30 +1000

On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 08:20:51 -0400
"IT1 Stuart Blake Tener, USNR" <address@hidden> wrote:
<snip>

> The second interest I have is to use gpsd supply GPS positional data
> to XASTIR. Not being a JSON expert, how would you recommend I
> configure gpsd to achieve this?
<snip>

The gpsclients related to the gpsd project offer good examples in python.

A cheap work around to applications that can't listen to gpsd is to pipe the
data to a 'virtual port and have the client pick it up from there, e.g.;

/usr/bin/gpspipe -r | socat - PTY,link=/tmp/gpsout.pty,raw

...pointing the app to /tmp/gpsout.pty ...or whatever you want to call it.

Put it in a startup script for the app to avoid problems.

--
Crew <address@hidden>