gpsd-users

[gpsd-users] How to detect that GPS device on /dev/ttyS0 is off?

From: Wielant, Ulrich
Subject: [gpsd-users] How to detect that GPS device on /dev/ttyS0 is off?
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 14:07:53 +0200

Hi,

I am using gpsd 3.9 to receive data from a Garmin 17x HVS or 19x HVS receiver connected to the serial port /dev/ttyS0.

I am also using the gpsd4java lib to handle the JSON part of the protocol. This lib is still a bit prototype so I have started to adapt it to my needs.

My question is now:

How can I detect (in the gpsd JSON protocol) if a GPS device is switched off or disconnected from the serial device? All I can see is that no more new messages arrive when using the WATCH command.

POLL seems to return the same values (with PRN used=true entries!) forever while the GPS is disconnected.

Is there any chance to detect that the GPS is not alive?

Thanks!

Uli

www.gematronik.com
www.selex-si.de

Selex Systems Integration GmbH
Sitz der Gesellschaft / Registered Office: Neuss
Registergericht / Register Court: Neuss HR B 1242
Geschäftsführer / Managing Director: Ulrich Nellen