gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] NL-402U vs NL-602 ?

From: Benjamin Armbruster
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] NL-402U vs NL-602 ?
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 17:17:24 +0200

Am Fri, 19 Oct 2012 16:49:48 -0700
schrieb "Gary E. Miller" <address@hidden>:

> Yo Benjamin!
>
> On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 10:10:56 +0200
> Benjamin Armbruster <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > > not so good for time keeping.  I see the NL-602U is a uBlox6 which
> > > is an excellent chip.  The NL-402U is a uBlox5 which also performs
> > > well.
> > Well, none of my mobile computers offers a serial port, so I'm stuck
> > with USB.
>
> Yup.
>
> > I'm aware that digitizing the analog signal is not the best
> > to do, but I have no other option.
>
> But if time was important you have other options.
>
> > Is it really that much of a problem?
>
> iIf +/- 50 milli Sec does not matter to you, then no problems at
> all for you application.
>
> >  Mainly, I will be using the device for
> > navigation/localisation, so accuracy is important.
>
> By that you mean positional accuracty, not temporal accuracy.  Either
> should be fine, but i expect the uBlox6 would win by a nose.
>
> RGDS
> GARY
> Gary E. Miller Rellim 109 NW Wilmington Ave., Suite E, Bend, OR 97701
>         Tel:+1(541)382-8588

Hi!

I finally got my NL-602u, and wanted to report that it works out of the box
using
gpsd 3.6 via "gpsd /dev/ttyACM0". It performs very well under rough conditions
(small window, dark rain clouds). Positioning is quite accurate and a fix is
quickly
acquired. Whats really nice about it is 115000 baud rate and 5Hz update
capability.

Maybe someone can add it to the hardware list on the homepage.

Regards, Benni