gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Speeding up autobauding

From: Alexander Carver
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Speeding up autobauding
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 23:34:57 -0700

On 10/23/2012 08:21, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
Alexander Carver <address@hidden>:
Can you test to see if the sync time drops at a lower speed?

Yes, it does.  The autobaud almost always starts off at 4800 and
takes a few seconds to ramp up to 38400.

And:

    Dropping the unused ones sped up the process.

OK, that's what I was expecting to hear. Alas, there's no way of
speeding this up in the general case - autobauding takes as long
as it takes, because the real constraint is the serial I/O speed.

                                            I didn't know
about the fixed speed option or I would have used it because I keep
the one receiver in 38400 SiRF binary exclusively.

That's why it's there.

Sync/autobaud speed wasn't much of an issue for me since the system isn't moving (so no need for rapid uptime to assist navigation) and really doesn't get restarted much at all. The machine does one thing, keep time. I'm still working out a few other features that will use the data from gpsd but since it's main purpose is my network clock, it does pretty well and a ten second autobaud isn't a huge deal.

If I recompile the newer version of gpsd then I'll remember the autobaud which will at least speed recovery along for times when the power goes out. I need to see what the change logs say for the new version and then I still owe you a patch for DGPS status/satellite used.