gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Leap second has arrived but GPS not updated?

From: Alexander Carver
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Leap second has arrived but GPS not updated?
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2012 12:31:03 -0700

On 7/1/2012 12:19, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
Tomalak Geret'kal <address@hidden>:
Now I'm even more confused.  As of about an hour ago, the GPS UTC
offset has gone *backward* from 16 to 15 again.  I'm not sure what
happened or why.  At about 0700 UTC it started showing an offset
of 16 seconds. Somewhere after 1300 it stepped backwards.  I still
have satellites in view, six are locked for a fix plus the one
SBAS is good.

Sounds to me like your receiver has a "default" of 15 in its NV RAM,
plus a bug preventing it from properly extracting the UTC Correction
parameter from almanac.

I agree with this diagnosis.

I'm forced to agree with it but I don't want to. :) I'm exhausting all other possible avenues before declaring the receiver badly programmed.

The sad part is that I have four more of these identical units. I suspect there are many in the field considering they were used in remote telemetry devices. I'll be disappointed if they can't be fixed but I doubt GlobalSat even supports them anymore.