gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] setting/gettin almanac data trough gpsd

From: Tomalak Geret'kal
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] setting/gettin almanac data trough gpsd
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 16:00:53 +0100

On 10/05/2012 15:55, Dave Hart wrote:
On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 2:38 PM, Tomalak Geret'kal<address@hidden>  wrote:
On 09/05/2012 18:36, Matthias Goldhoorn wrote:
Is there currently a way to download and update the almanac and ephemeris
data?

I plan to integrate it the GPS deamon to our new www.rock-robotics.org
framework. But we currently use some slow and-not-so-nice GPS modules from
antenova. these work more or less, but the are VERY slow for the first sync.
I played around with the sirfdemo application for windows, and if i download
and upload these information after an reboot i gain about an our.

So is there any implementation available or planned?.
To download from where?
Are you asking whether gpsd is going to become an all-purpose assist server?
I think he wants to save the almanac before power-cycling his GPS
receiver, then restore that almanac to the GPS receiver after a power
cycle to speed first acquisition.

Cheers,
Dave Hart
K, then I guess we'd need to know more details about the mechanism that his receiver is exposing to allow this. As far as I'm aware, there's no "standard", other than for those receivers that have built-in network comms of some kind that can reach a proper assist server.

As for whether the gpsd bods have been seriously considering this anyway, of course I couldn't comment...

Tom