gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] gpsd performing orderly socket shutdown

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] gpsd performing orderly socket shutdown
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 08:55:42 -0400

Tomalak Geret'kal <address@hidden>:
> So my question is, **under what circumstances might gpsd perform a
> shutdown of a client connection**? Any at all?

Timeout after a failed write to the client.

One of the known problems with sockets is that you can never know for
sure whether quiescence from the remote end means (a) it has nothing to
say to you, or (b) it has died.

In order to avoid a resource leak due to clients flaking out, gpsd notices
when a write to the client fails and (in effect) starts a timer.  If the
timer expires before another write succeeds, the client is considered dead
and the connection dropped.