gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] AIVDM sentence buffering

From: Jonathan Fewtrell
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] AIVDM sentence buffering
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 16:23:57 +0800

Thanks for this.

The situation I have in mind is one where signals are being received from
numerous vessels at the same time. In such a case, there could very well be
more than one signal of a given type (particularly types 1/2/3 and 5) received
within 2 seconds. My concern is that (say) a type 1 signal from Vessel B could
shadow a type 1 signal from Vessel A received a fraction of a second earlier.
Furthermore, if their transponders are reliably sending signals at a steady
frequency, this shadowing could continue for some time, meaning that Vessel A
might never be detected.

Is this a valid concern, or have I misunderstood?

For info, I am testing in Hong Kong. I consume reports every 1.5s and I
regularly see more than 100 simultaneous live targets. Admittedly this is an
extreme case, HK being perhaps the busiest port in the world, but arguably this
is when AIS ought to be most valuable.