gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Problems with the gpsd website move

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Problems with the gpsd website move
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 12:06:01 -0500

Ed W <address@hidden>:
> I personally prefer github, but why not either github or gitorious?

Both suffer from some combination of (a) no issue tracking, (b) no
message queues or mailing lists, and (c) no hosting for static webhosting.

> (I'm sure we had this conversation already? Still not sure why you
> are on some solution that you don't like, given that other solutions
> are available which do actually do what you want, even if you have
> ethical or other problems with them?)

There are *no* solutions that do what I want.  Remote scriptability is
lacking, the forges that support mailing lists require separate
credentials for them, there are many other problems. I am so pissed
off about the abysmally shitty state of forge technology that my next
major project is probably going to be building one that doesn't suck.

Unrelated note.  This tic you have of ending every sentence with a
question mark makes it nearly impossible for me to take you seriously.
I keep hearing a ditzy Valley Girl accent...