gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] SDDBT

From: bertram waterman
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] SDDBT
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 13:22:37 +0000

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 5:53 AM, Hamish <address@hidden> wrote:
Hamish:
> > I believe I've sent that through a couple times
> > in the past, but can send NMEA logs from Furuno
> > and Garmin depth sounders again if it is wanted.
Eric:
> grep DBT test/daemon/*.log douesn't show any hits, so,
> no, I don't have such data.

in here is a small sample:
 http://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/gpsd-users/2007-July/002739.html

Hamish
 Apologies all, I thought I'd replied on this thread last night (long windily) but I can find no trace of it either in the archives or my outbox - such are the vagaries of gmail!

Anyway, to summarize:
1. I shall go and get an echosounder log complete with gll sentences etc and send it off.

2. I cannot duplicate the unwanted JSON messages problem. It occurred after my tinkering with a much modified copy of gpspipe which I was using as a template for a nmea grabber/sddbt parser. I would not have mentioned it but the problem persisted even when I used the "Real" gpspipe and survived at least one restart. The following day, all was back to normal!

3. I fully understand that depth is not part of the gps dataset. However, as depth is often in the datastream supplied by marine NMEA multiplexors/re-transmitters and is a "useful" number to mariners, it is difficult to use gpsd in this environment without either discarding it or separately parsing it. I use a gps signal in 3/4 different instruments software packages on my little boat and the advantages of a socketed system are therefore obvious. ( it would also significantly simplify wiring!).

Thanks for your offers of help, I'm sure there are lots of people out there who will appreciate it.

Jonnie H