gpsd-users

[gpsd-users] Chicken and Egg Problem: cannot find -lgpsd

From: Charles Curley
Subject: [gpsd-users] Chicken and Egg Problem: cannot find -lgpsd
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 13:24:40 -0600

I have a bit of a chicken and egg problem. I just made a fresh Debian
installation. I then installed scons, git and gcc. I pulled in git
head. On running scons, I get:

gcc -o gpsd -Wl,-rpath=/usr/local/lib -pthread gpsd.o ntpshm.o
shmexport.o dbusexport.o -L/usr/local/lib -lrt -lgpsd
-lgps /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgpsd collect2: ld returned 1 exit
status scons: *** [gpsd] Error 1

This is probably for the excellent reason that libgpsd hasn't been
installed. It has been compiled and is present in the gpsd tree.

Running "scons install" as root fails similarly, so that won't work.

Is there a better way to handle this than hand copying libgpsd into
place?