gpsd-dev

Re: Alternative for gpsmon

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Alternative for gpsmon
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 12:55:19 -0700

Yo Sanjeev!

On Mon, 12 Jun 2023 18:16:18 +0800
Sanjeev Gupta <ghane0@gmail.com> wrote:

> cat works, but only for NMEA. And I get raw sentences, so I do not
> know how good my siting is, PPS, etc.

A lot of us here can read several types of GNSS hex streams.

I tend to use minicom when I want to play with speed, parity, etc.

If I need more, I just run zerk, bxtool, or gpsd.

> I want gpsd to autobaud, decode, etc. But not use gpsd, because that
> is overkill when I just need to see if teh GPS mouse works on this
> port.

You want it, but you do not want it?  Conflicted much?

> Basically, why should I make an effort, when Gary and James and Hal
> and ESR seem happy to put up with my whining :-)

Everyone here is just scrathing their own itch.  If you have an itch,
scratch it, and send us the patch.

> On Mon, 12 Jun 2023, 6:11 pm Mike Simpson, <mikie.simpson@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > If you want direct access then why not use cat?
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > On 12 Jun 2023, at 02:54, Sanjeev Gupta <ghane0@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > (Gary, please do not shoot first!)
> >
> > Yes, I know gpsmon is unmaintained.  Yes, I know cgps is the way to
> > go. But gpsmon provides something that no other tool does, direct
> > access.
> >
> > When bringing up a new system, where you are not even sure if
> > /dev/ttyS02 or /dev/ttyACM0 is the one, it helps.
> >
> > I understand that it must duplicate functionality of both gpsd and
> > cgps. So it is a burden to maintain.
> >
> > I have a new system, and gpsmon fails with an assertion. I am
> > scared to open an issue :-)
> >
> > Perhaps we should drop it?  I can write the obituary notice.
> >
> > --
> > Sanjeev Gupta
> > +65 98551208     http://www.linkedin.com/in/ghane

RGDS