gpsd-dev

Re: ✘3.23~rc2 Please test

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: ✘3.23~rc2 Please test
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 12:36:46 -0700

Yo Gary!

> > > gpxlogger never worked for all cases, so I'll not hold up the
> > > release for a bad corner case.
> >
> > As I posted last night, it's now failing in some cases that used to
> > work. Not fixing old bugs in the current release is justifiable, but
> > introducing new ones is bad.
>
> But the failing cases are not normal cases.
>
> I have been trying to duplicate your failure.  Can you explain more
> how to duplicate it?  You said "no data" but I do not understand that.

I figured out to make the failure.
        killall -9 gpsd
        gpxlogger

That starts gpxlogger, which defaults to using dbus to connect to
gpsd.  libgps uses this call to dbug:

dbus_connection_read_write_dispatch()

   "The way to think of this function is that it either makes some sort
   of progress, or it blocks. Note that, while it is blocked on I/O,
   it cannot be interrupted (even by other threads), which makes this
   function unsuitable for applications that do more than just react to
   received messages."

Note that it blocks signals.  So this never allowed ^c.  So old bug.

Fixing this will require a bit of restructruing.

I have no idea why libgps defaults to dbus first.  Not gonna change that
as who knows what hangs on that decision.

> > If you think this is fun, try making signal interactions with the
> > main program work reliably in Python. :-)
>
> Never heard of any problems there.  Only when you use gps_mainloop()
> which only gpxlogger uses.

I'd still like to hear more on that.

RGDS
GARY