gpsd-dev

Re: ✘gpsinfo

From: Bernd Zeimetz
Subject: Re: ✘gpsinfo
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 22:31:24 +0100

On 3/15/21 1:37 AM, Gary E. Miller wrote:
>>> netstat -apn | fgrep :2947
>>
>> netstat is not being installed by default anymore, its deprecated for
>> good.
>
> Huh, says it right there on the man page.  News to me.  Good catch.
>
>> ss is the default tool on linux.
>
> Hmm, I'll have to play with that.
>
> Would an old distro, like RHEL, have ss?

busybox still ships netstat.

rhel7+8 has it, 6 is eol or will be eol soon.

*BSD won't have it, there I'm not even sure which flags of netstat are
common on all platforms.

Using
 ss -tlpn
or
 netstat -tlpn

Instead of :2947 I'd grep for gpsd. People might run it on different ports.

>>> ps ax | fgrep gpsd
>>> which gpspipe
>>> gpspipe -V
>>> gpspipe -w -n 2
>>> python -V
>>
>> do the same for python3 and check which of them is able to import the
>> module.
>
> Oh, yeah.  I forget how Debian does not conform to PEPs.  Good catch.

That has nothing to do with Debian.
People might have installed things with python2 or python3.
Or in the worst case, an old version with python2 and a newer version
with python3. If its packaged in Debian, python2 and 3 will work in the
the same way until buster, starting wil bullseye python2-* will be gone
(I think the plain python2 binary will still be there for now).