gpsd-dev

Re: ✘"Sudo? Sudon't!" and "Saving U-blox Configuration"

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: ✘"Sudo? Sudon't!" and "Saving U-blox Configuration"
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2021 10:45:05 -0800

Yo Joshua!

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 10:47:47 -0500
Joshua Judson Rosen <rozzin@hackerposse.com> wrote:

> > are your personal opinion and have nothing to do with gpsd. Nothing
> > that should be in a documentation about gpsd. I'm sure there is
> > some linux best practices book where they belong into.
>
> And to readers who don't already agree with it, I think this
> particular claim just makes the author look silly.... If you _really_
> want it to be in there, you should probably substantiate so that
> readers actually take it seriously instead of just dismissing it as
> the ramblings of a crank.

Are you referring to Bernie or myself as silly?  Or both of us?

If you are referring to my comments, I'd be perfectlyl happy to
substantiate them here.  The ubxtool examples is not the correct
place for such an in depth discussion.

> > Instead I'd suggest that you check the uid in ubxtool and fail if
> > somebody tires to run it as root, maybe add a --yes-i-know-what-i-do
> > flag to force running it as root.
>
> Or even specifically check for one of the environment variables that
> sudo sets to indicate that a process is running under sudo (e.g.
> SUDO_USER, SUDO_UID, SUDO_GID...) if you really just want people to
> stop people from using _sudo_ specifically....

Hmm.  Interesting suggestion.  Let me rephrase this:

    ubstool should check it is running under sudo and fail.

Do I have that correct?  So instead of maybe failing under sudo it
always fails?

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588