gpsd-dev

Re: ubxtool - last_statement_identifier functionality

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: ubxtool - last_statement_identifier functionality
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 09:45:27 -0700

Yo Martin!

On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 15:35:32 +0200
Martin Laabs <Martin.Laabs@tu-dresden.de> wrote:

> I currently separate the gps_io class out of the ubxtool to
> re-utilize it in my program without the opts global variable.

Yeah, I figured someone would want that one separated out soon.  It
is duplicated in zerk, so should already have been done.

I have been toying with the idea of just pushing the gps_io stuff
into gps.gps().  gps_io cam about as a way to read serial devices
directly and gps.gps() could do that directly.

> I think there was a plan to filter received messages with the
> last_statement_identifier member in the ubx class. However, it seems
> to be not implemented in the ubx class. The ubxtool neither use that
> functionality.

That was just an idea.  No implementation yet, not even a plan.

As you note below, last_statement_identifier and expect_statement_identifier
were tentative steps in that direction.  Any new functionality should
also try to fix and retain the ability to exit after getting some expected
message.

> I certainly need this filtering later to ensure e.g. a VALSET was
> successful carried out. Since this is only relevant for the
> msg_decoder method I would like to remove the class member
> 'last_statement_identifier' and handle the filtering outside the
> class by e.g. returning the statement_identifier from the decode_msg
> as well. Does someone expect some adverse side-effects from that?

The devil is in the details.  Looking at patches is best.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588