gpsd-dev

Re: ✘contrib/gpssubframe

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: ✘contrib/gpssubframe
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2020 16:37:57 -0700

Yo Greg!

On Fri, 18 Sep 2020 19:28:32 -0400
Greg Troxel <gdt@lexort.com> wrote:

> "Gary E. Miller" <gem@rellim.com> writes:
>
> > I just pushed a finally working contrib/gpssubframe.  Still needs
> > features and more polish.
>
> All very cool and I look forward to trying it out.

I look forward to your feedback.

> Do you intend to move it out of contrib when you are happy with it?

Yes.  And after it has a man page, examples, and more validation.
I expect before next release.

> My take as a packager is that things in contrib don't really belong
> in a package but this seems like it should be installed.

NTPsec going through similar discussions.  They have contrib, attic,
and more.

Only a subset of gpsd users use ubxtool, and only a small subset of
those can use gpssubframe.  Plus some a few others that have receivers
with subframe output.

I don't like packages that remove gpsd clients, like cgps, to separate
packages.  For gpssubframe it may make sense, but not my call.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588